Saturday, July 11, 2009

Jennifer Can't Quilt.

It is with a heavy heart that I announce I have abdicated from the position of "quilter." This means I am temporarily demoted to "piecer."

Look, I can't quilt that giant ass quilt, okay? And, yeah, I totally feel like it's cheating to send something out to be quilted, but at least when it comes back it's going to look good. And I'm not going to end up tearing my hair out.

Here's how it happened: I went to ye olde quilting shop to use the tables and quilt. I quilted one circle... it was more like a polygon. So Laura was going to give me some tips on free motioning a big thing (instead of little practice things that are pretty easy), but when she tried to free motion that quilt, the machine started eating thread (it grew teeth). She also noted how difficult it was to move the quilt because my machine is miniscule and also the quilt is heavy. We conferred for about 40 seconds, in which time I realized I must be bat shit crazy to try to quilt that myself (not ready yet!) and needed to send it out.

...

I feel a little guilty and I think I even wanted to cry a little. But at least I get to work on other projects now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Being a "piecer" is still a great accomplishment! I know how frustrating it can be to realize "hey, I'm about to ruin this quilt (the one that took a billion hours to piece) in about 7.5 seconds with my terrible quilting." I feel it every time.

    Sometimes it's good to just work through the fear and take the good with the bad and end up better for the practice. And then there are times when it's just better to let someone else do it. I've never made a quilt that was important enough to send out but I know the day may come.

    I think you made the right decision and I can't wait to see the finished quilt. The top is gorgeous!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete