Thursday, December 24, 2009

Another Finish!

I finished the Go Navy! quilt today.  I hand-finished the entire binding today while watching endless episodes of Super Nanny.  Thank God for television marathons!


The Go Navy! quilt spans my entire mattress, which is queen sized, with no drop.  It's the perfect size for two people to cuddle up or for one to take a cozy nap.  



Go Navy!


This quilt is made up of t-shirts that belong to my sister, Gretchen. For those readers who don't know, Gretchen graduated from the United States Naval Academy in May. She took her oath of office and accepted her commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps. While at the USNA, she participated on the women's crew team, rowing on the varsity eight scull (that's an eight seat boat, each woman with one oar, for you crew newbies).

Participating in this varsity sport allowed her to compete in many huge regattas against various teams, including Australia's Olympic team! The top of the quilt incorporates some USNA shirts as well as many shirts of teams she competed against at Eastern Sprints-- tradition dictates that you trade your team shirt with those of competing teams, including the Army team (ew!). See my favorite block?



Go Navy!


The front is cool and all, but I think the back is my favorite part. I included uniform t-shirts from plebe summer, which is like basic training for midshipmen in their first year at the USNA. This is an extra special quilt that includes memories from four years of hard work, lessons learned, leadership, and accomplishments. I'm so proud of my sister and I hope she loves this quilt!



Go Navy!




***



Here's a picture of the finished Ugly Eye Spy quilt with Kelsey, the momma to be! She loved it.



Kelsey!





Updated List
  • Black Eyed Susan
    • finish top
    • quilt
    • make binding
    • bind
  • Go Navy! T-shirt Quilt
    • make top
    • drop off for quilting
    • make binding
    • bind
  • French Braid Quilt
    • quilt
    • make binding
    • bind
  • Alexander Henry Cars Quilt
    • quilt
    • bind
  • Ugly Eye Spy Quilt
    • quilt
    • make binding
    • bind
  • Brick Road
    • bind

5 comments:

  1. Good work! I absolutely love the Tee shirt quilt & I'm sure your sister will, too! Mele Kalikimaka from Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm depressed when I see what progress you are making on your list. Want to take some of my list entries off my hands? P.S. Great quilt for your sister - very personal and meaningful. What was it like working with T-shirt fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesly-- Working with jersey cotton was a terrible experience and I do not recommend it to anyone, including my worst enemy.

    kaiolohiakids-- Right back at you! Don't let anyone see you fantasizing about the skinny dipping model in your dream pool... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to assume that it's an ugly eye spy quilt for some other reason than it being ugly, as it's far from that! What's the reason for it being an 'ugly eye spy' quilt?

    The old navy one looks amazing!! Your sister is very lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel-- I called it the Ugly Eye Spy quilt because I think it's ugly! I originally made two of these; one with black sashing and one with yellow. The black sashing was much nicer!

    ReplyDelete