Monday, May 31, 2010

Look, Mom!

Today my friend Jenny came over to play.  We stuffed our faces, saw a dead possum, and I taught her how to make a quilt!  Well, sort of.  I taught her how to make a quilt block.  A Sawtooth Star to be exact!

DSCN0567

We dug into the old stash (which is really just large pieces of fabric leftover from finished projects, since you guys know I don't stash) and chose some cute fabrics, including some Amy Butler and a nice batik.  I showed Jenny how to use the rotary cutter and grid ruler, and I also taught her about 1/4" seams and pressing seams between steps.

DSCN0566 

The whole thing is only 4.5" square.  What a tiny block for a first-timer!  She did a great job, and I was quite proud of my teaching, too (I should be good at that, though, right?).   Next time I'm going to have to teach her how to do binding.

DSCN0565

Here's Jenny and her finished quilt.  Don't you love this picture?  She looks pleased as punch!  Actually, Jenny looks like this pretty much all the time, except when she's really furious.  She's the happiest, smiliest person I know.

No comments: