This is the first time I've ever created half-square triangles. I didn't do any crazy methods, just did squares and sewed 1/4" from the middle line. Very simple.
Here's me taking the last stitches on the quilt top. Please ignore all that fuzz on my presser foot and shank. I promise I clean my machine.
Check out my finished quilt top. Even though the top seems so simple, it challenged me in many ways.
First, I struggled with the color scheme. Red is a very bold color and each time I looked at the pieces coming together I was felt sure that the red was taking over the entire quilt. I also don't love the khaki that I included. I feel that it's a little drab, and I'd rather have used an off white. I think it would look cleaner.
Layout also gave me some difficulty. I tried several different arrangements but none seemed quite right. However, when I moved the pieces to this current layout everything fell together. It was sort of like a magic eye puzzle. It finally looked right!
All fabrics are Kona cotton solids. Very nice to work with.
I'm not so sure how I like it. I think it's a bit manly looking, but also sort of fresh and modern. I'd rather have worked in softer colors, but this one isn't for me, so I chose fabrics according to the recipient's taste.
As I'm sitting here staring at it, it's kind of growing on me...