Friday, October 29, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry



DSCN0535

I decided to share something a little different for the fall 2010 Blogger's Quilt Festival.  This quilt never truly fulfilled its purpose.  Originally, I had planned to give it to my sister, Katie, as her birthday gift.  I ended up loving it, and so I decided to keep it for myself.  Until now.  Now it's slated for auction.  Read on.

DSCN0537

My littlest sister, Gloria, needs your help.  She's part of an aid organization called Student Partnership for International Medical Aid.  The group travels to Ho, Ghana each year to provide medical care and supplies for people in rural villages.  Gloria returned from Ghana this year with many exciting stories, and an even greater desire to help than she had when she left.  The clinic only runs for a week each year and can't possibly meet the needs of everyone.

IMGP7666

Student Partnership for International Medical Aid (SPIMA) is a nonprofit, medical service trip organization run by students and alumni of the College of William and Mary.  The organization works alongside local doctors and nurses in Ho, Ghana to provide free medical care to community members of nearby villages.  The group sets up and runs various temporary clinics and hands out prescribed medicine at absolutely no cost. 

clinic

SPIMA hopes to become a greater player in the access of medicine within the next decade.  Currently, the organization is a one-week-a-year medical resource for the poor farmers and residents.  These Ghanaians often experience no other medical assistance during the rest of the year.  By working with the Life for Living Medical Center in Ghana and with the guidance of a William and Mary professor, the group strives to research and understand the weaknesses of Ghana’s current medical system.  

24385_1287889083991_1433100110_30818046_314986_n

In order to raise money for this year's trip, the SPIMA volunteers are holding a community-wide auction at the William and Mary Alumni House.  Their goal is $25,000!  Gloria asked me to donate one of my precious quilts to be sold at the auction, and I agreed.  If I can do it, so can you!  Please consider donating a crafty project of any kind to be sold at the auction on November 11, 2010. 

 If you'd like to donate, please email me at jennifer.hadlock@gmail.com.  I will pass along the mailing address and information that you need.  Donations must be received by November 8, 2010.  

No comments:

Post a Comment